Devastation

You know what kind of pissed me off this morning? Well, other than the fact that Katrina knocked out my power just as I was drying my hair, causing me to be an hour and 20 minutes late for work… yeah, it’s that kind of attitude. I wasn’t pissed that Katrina knocked out my power. I was happy that we only got 1 or 2 inches of rain and that I only had to go for an hour without electric. Not a big deal. I took a nap until the lights came back on. What did piss me off was watching the Pittsburgh news this morning and watching them make a big deal out of “flash floods” and “wind damage” in this area. Big fucking deal. Have you seen the chaos and destruction that is Louisiana and Mississippi? And we’re supposed to cry because a fallen limb knocked out our power? Puh-lease. This was the most destructive storm to ever hit the U.S. We’re talking about billions of dollars in damages, and the worst part; entire lives destroyed.

Now the governor of Lousiana is calling for a complete evacuation of New Orleans. Where do all of these people go? How do they live when they have absolutely nothing? Experts estimate that it will take at least 12 to 16 weeks before people can come back. Not to mention the sewage filled flood waters and dead bodies floating around.

On the Pittsburgh news last night they showed a fleet of Red Cross trucks that were fully stocked with fresh food, water, and medical supplies. They were waiting for the storm to pass our area before sending them south, just in case we needed them here. Bullshit. So maybe one or two people’s basements flooded, ruining their couch from 1972. Call fucking Roto Rooter and get over it. There are people in REAL need elsewhere.

I just couldn’t comprehend anyone being selfish in this situation. And making a big deal out of a couple of inches of rain in the Pittsburgh area is totally fucking ridiculous. We needed that rain anyway. It’s easy to be so far removed from a situation that you really don’t care. I know I’m guilty of it. But here’s the thing: I’m thankful. I’m thankful that my house is still standing, I have all my belongings, and food in my refrigerator. I’m happy that my family and friends are safe. And my heart and my thoughts go out to everyone who has survived this thing that don't have all that I have.

So I might have to buy all new shoes. Big deal, right?

Comments

Popular Posts