Inebriated Proposal

I spend a lot of my time during the day on a pregnancy discussion board, so I was more than happy on Friday when one of the women asked everyone to share the story of the way their husband proposed. I was sure that everyone had some kind of romantic tale to tell, so I knew I was going to stand out when I told them my story. I actually wanted to write a post about it here for a long time.

Ryan is probably the least romantic man in the world. He’s a big, goofy construction worker. He speaks his mind and can be offensive and has the roughest hands I’ve ever felt. He only time he shows any passion is when playing music (which is so sexy). I’m sure you can imagine where I’m going with this.

Every year my dad and our neighbor have a huge party to celebrate their birthdays at our camp. The year 2000 was the first year that Ryan and I were living together, so of course, both of us were going to be there, along with all of our friends. A lot of my relatives were there as well, and everyone was eating and drinking and partying the night away. One of Ryan’s old bands played that night. I was busy taking pictures and cheering people on as they did keg stands. Needless to say, I was doing a lot of drinking myself and I was pretty well wasted by the time he and his band stopped playing. I decided to be a goof and start playing the drums, which I’m not good at AT ALL, when suddenly Ryan came up to me and asked me to stop. He was all, “I have to ask you something.” Before I could even think, he was down on his knee in the dirt and popped the question. Do you know what I said?

Do you????

“Buddy, I’m so DRUNK! What are you doing to me???”

Then I started laughing hysterically and shrugged and said, “Okay!”

At this point my mother started screaming at my dad, “Oh my god! He asked her! Get over here!” And everyone came running. It was so freakin’ embarrassing, especially considering the amount of alcohol I had consumed.

Meanwhile, my dad had practically ruined the whole thing. I had to go to a friend’s bridal shower earlier that day, and while I was gone, Ryan asked my dad for his blessing. My dad started bawling, he was so excited (that’s pretty cute, because my dad is so macho). He told everyone at the party that we were engaged. So people kept coming up to me all night (before he even asked) going, “I heard you guys got engaged!” I was so confused, but I didn’t think that much of it.

The whole situation was pretty hilarious, actually.

Now every time we play fight, I say, “Yeah, well, I was DRUNK when I agreed to marry you!” And he’ll say, “Yeah, well, I haven’t sobered up since!”

We really do love each other. I swear.

Comments

Popular Posts