Daisy Mae updates

In the almost week that Daisy has been with us, she's come a long way - from terrified, skinny, sickly pup, to energetic, playful, slightly less shy and putting on weight. She's still got her cold, as evidenced by the crusty boogers and the hacking cough, but it's not nearly as bad. I'm hoping it clears up very soon.

Taking ESC's advice, (thanks ESC!) I started taking her out on the leash with lots of treats. Not only do I not have to carry her out the door and down the steps any more, but she does her business rather quickly. All in a matter of days! She'll still poop and pee on newspaper, but I've started taking her messes outside and putting it where she likes to do her business - by the bush on the side of the yard, and by the air conditioning unit beside the house. Those are the two surefire spots for puppy poops and pees.

She loves to chew, as most puppies often do, and while I've got a great stash of rawhides and chewy toys for her, some of Lyric's toys have gotten the brunt of those sharp puppy teeth. As did my PS2 controller. It's a great way to remind not only ourselves to keep things off the floor, but a motivational tool for Lyric to pick up her toys - "you have to clean up or the doggie will eat your baby doll!" Yeah. It's like that.

And while I'd love to keep her, I know eventually she'll have to go back... back to a shelter that smells of wet dog and bleach - where she'll be placed in isolation for a week with other dogs barking all around her, far from the comfort of my couch which she's claimed as her nap spot. Life behind bars, eventually moved out front so potential adopters can see how cute she is... and it probably won't take long. Puppies never last at the shelter. It's the older dogs that live out their days in a stinky kennel. And then I'll never see her again.

And truthfully, that makes me a little sad. But at the same time, I'm not sure if I'm ready for a full time dog. Been there... and I wasn't ready then. With a toddler and a full time job(s), it's hard enough to find time to spend with my kid and my husband. I already feel like Daisy has demanded more of my time this week than Lyric has.

And you know what else? I'm ready for another baby. How's that for an announcement?

Puppies may have to wait.

Comments

Popular Posts