Full Circle

One of my squirrels

A little more than a year ago, I knew I wanted to start a blog, but I had no idea what to write about, or worse yet, what to call it. Back then I worked at Target, and I had time in the morning just to sit at my house, drink coffee and smoke cigarettes on my porch. I love sitting on my porch in the morning, smokes or not. I began to notice a little family of squirrels who frequented my yard, so I went out and bought squirrel food for them. The mixture of corn, nuts, and sunflower seeds kept them coming back, along with the chipmunk who made his home under my shed. Every day I’d sit very quietly on my porch and watch my squirrels, and it provided me with hours of entertainment, watching their antics as they romped from tree to tree. I got to know them and I recognized each one. Thus I knew that my blog had to be squirrel stories, because I felt a strange kind of closeness with these animals. My first couple posts were like many others, just ramblings about my life and some mentions of the squirrels. I’ve never been much of a writer but I hoped that writing a blog would help me out with that. I think it did, sorta kinda.

Funny enough, this morning, the morning of my first blogoversary, I went out on to my porch, and there was a squirrel in my yard. I sat and watched him as he explored and played. I’ve seen a lot of squirrel behavior but I’ve never seen a squirrel acting quite like this one, although that might have explained why he was alone. He was racing around the base of a tree, then he’d spring up and let himself fall flat on his back. He’d lie sprawled out on the ground for a few moments, then curl into a ball and roll around on the grass. He kept repeating this, like he was having the time of his life. I found it fitting that I was witnessing a new squirrel behavior.

A lot has obviously changed in my life since my first post, but one thing remains the same, my squirrels. I can still count on them to entertain me. Which reminds me, I need to go buy some squirrel food today.

Comments

Popular Posts