Unalienable Rights

This afternoon I will vote. For the first time EVER in my life. Never have I cared so much, or felt so passionately about what is going on in our country. Never have I watched CNN and MSNBC religiously every morning. Never have I given a second thought to any of this shit. Until this election year. Why? Because I’ve personally felt the impact of our current administration. My educated friends (and I) can’t find jobs. My diabetic mother-in-law has no health insurance and she pays thousands of dollars a month for eye surgery and medication. My father-in-law just lost his job. I’m not saying that all this is the president’s fault, but I am saying, "what has he done for me and the people I love?" And the answer is pretty clear to me.

So yes, now I’m geared up, ready to go, and anxious. I’m nervous and stressed and have butterflies in my stomach. Every once in a while I’ll look skyward and think, "oh please, make things go my way for once," in my own silly, selfish way.

Tonight I’ll sit, glued to my television, drinking beer and praying, even though I know that praying won’t do a damn thing. Only WE can do this thing. And no matter which way the political wind blows at the end of the night, at least I’ll know that I finally did my part. And I’ll do it again and again, because I can. So I hope everybody out there is doing their part, no matter who you’re voting for. Just vote. Maybe you’ll be the one to make a difference.

Or maybe I’ll end up crying myself to sleep and calling off on Wednesday to avoid the gloating of 95% of my co-workers. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


"….That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government…"

Whoop, whoop, whoop!

Comments

Popular Posts