Save That Dream For Another Day


Today I feel like I’m back in 9th grade, when my first real boyfriend and I broke up. All day at school I had a hollow pit in my stomach, and was on the edge of crying. At one point I ran out of history class in tears. Mr. Love (the history teacher) thought I was nuts. I was an emotional train wreck of a 15 year old girl.

12 years later, that feeling has come back to me, full force, and has nothing to do with teenage love. I can’t help feeling personally defeated in some way. But like then, I’m hoping a little time will help to heal my broken heart. In the meantime, I’ll keep busy, trying to finish my thesis before my advisor resigns in the spring. In all the hubbub of political awareness, I seem to have forgotten that I have an academic portion of my life to worry about. Whoops. And now it's up to me and me alone to try like hell to get a real job, crappy economy or not.

Don’t worry kids, I haven’t forgotten my sense of humor. And I’m going to remain politically aware. Because if there’s one thing this election has taught me, it’s to stay informed about the issues. And to care about them. Too many young people proved that they didn’t care yesterday by not participating in the election.

Here’s my prayer chant from last night:
Pleasegodohio, pleasegodohio, pleasegodohio…ohfuckit.

See how well that worked?

Comments

Popular Posts