Behind Closed Office Doors

Being at work means that I have to pump a few times a day. If you have no idea what I’m talking about and think that maybe I ride a bike to work that tends to get flat tires, let me clarify for you: I have to pump milk from my BOOBS.

I work in a very open office environment. Nobody closes their office doors. Ever. So it’s a little awkward for me to close my office door so I can whip my boobies out a few times a day. Add to that the fact that there’s no lock on the door and you have one very nervous lactating mama. Although the first person to burst through my office door would probably get the shock of their life. It’s not every day you get to see a human milking themselves.

I had so many fears and reservations about breastfeeding. I thought it would be weird. It’s not. I thought it wouldn’t work. It did. But I won’t lie. It didn’t come easy. I’ve always been the person who tries to make things as easy as possible for myself, because let’s just face it, I’m lazy. So naturally, breastfeeding doesn’t seem like something I would do. Especially since I’m so prissy and shy. But it became so important to me that I knew I couldn’t give up. Even in the early days when I was sleep deprived and she was crying and I was like, “Really? You’re hungry AGAIN?” But I didn’t want to give up. So, totally out of character for me, I kept plugging away. And now? I’m so glad I didn’t quit. Lyric is fat and sassy and I love our time together. Yesterday when I fed her at my mom’s house she grunted and practically stuck my whole boob in her mouth after head butting it in excitement. That in itself is endearing. She prefers my boobs over the bottles she gets all day! How wonderful! I never thought that breastfeeding would be so bonding, but it really is.

So closing my office door a few times a day isn’t that big of a deal. And if anyone asks, I’ll tell them exactly what I’m doing… then I’ll be like, “aren’t you glad you asked?”

Comments

Popular Posts