Monday, March 10, 2008

We could have renamed him "Shithead"

Now that I have a dog, I’ve been spending a lot of time walking him. So far, in my never-ending quest to lose weight, I’ve dropped somewhere around 3 pounds. I think I may have gained a few back since this weekend. Lyric and I made brownies on Saturday.

I’ve found that I like to run with Red for a few hundred feet at a time, at least until my lungs and legs give out and I feel like I’m ready to die. The good thing about Red is that he’s older, a little older than me in dog years, pushing mid-life anyway, and out of shape, like his favorite female human (me). He tires out easily and will stop and pant a bit as I try to regain my ability to exercise my lungs to their fullest capacity.

Friday night we went out in the midst of yet another winter storm – the snow had turned to rain and there was a fine layer of slush on the ground. I don’t have proper running shoes – or walking shoes for that matter, so I had my 11 dollar Walmart snow boots on. After 10 minutes in the rain, I found that I’ve already got my 11 dollars worth out of them, because the water started to seep in, soaking my socks. We like to walk the baseball field above my house, and I’m taking advantage of the time we have now, because in a few weeks that field is going to start getting really busy, and I’m going to have to start walking a different route. And get some decent shoes. So when it’s dark, we run, because I don’t feel so retarded running in the dark, where nobody else can see me.

We had just made one lap around, which was enough for me and my wet feet, when suddenly Red saw something that made him spring forward, pulling me with all his might –which is a lot for a dog of his size. I wasn’t ready for him, and the ground was slippery under my feet, and I felt myself being dragged forward towards the trees that border our neighbor’s house. I was headed straight for one tree in particular, and staring at it was like staring a large bruise in the middle of my forehead right in the face. I knew I had my options – hit the tree, throw myself on the ground, or let go of the leash. I chose the latter, and that was by far the best choice, because I only had to stand there looking like an idiot who can’t properly walk a dog for like, 10 minutes, all the while yelling Red’s name in my neighbors backyard.

Finally, I gave up, and walked my wet feet down the icy slope of my neighbor’s yard, and ended up sliding down and into the side of their car. AWESOME.

I made it to the concrete and there he was, standing in front of the house, tail wagging, trotting up to greet me with a look that said, “where have you been?”

He’s so impossible to stay mad at.

Oh, and the pooping/peeing in the house? Done. I don't know how we broke him, but he just stopped doing it. Yay Red!

And an update on Daisy - she was adopted over the weekend! Yay Daisy! Lyric still asks about her... the girl has the memory of an elephant.

No comments: