A New Home...

I’ve said before, and I’ll say again – I’ve always wanted a dog. For as long as I can remember, I’ve had dogs growing up. Moving out on my own, getting to a place in my life where I could have a dog was a goal of mine. I wanted dogs before I had kids. But it didn’t happen that way.

When we got Rocky, I was excited to finally have reached that goal, but I found it increasingly hard to make an emotional connection to that dog. He could be sweet, but he mostly terrorized my house, chewing up Lyric’s toys, eating packs of cigarettes, breaking bar glasses with his giant tail, and jumping up on countertops. Not to mention stealing food right out of Lyric’s hands and plowing her over numerous times. It was very disheartening. And the fact is, that with my two jobs and my baby, I barely have time for myself, much less an animal that obviously needs a ton of attention. I had every intention of trying to take him to obedience classes, but it never happened.

Ryan wanted to get rid of the dog from day one, but I was insistent on making it work. Finally, after 5 months of him begging and pleading with me to find him a new home, I agreed. It wasn’t fair to Rocky that we didn’t have time for him.

After searching for a few weeks for our options on a new home for him, we were starting to feel a little discouraged. We didn’t want to take him to a shelter – we wanted him to be happy wherever he went. Ryan came up with the brilliant idea of calling one of his ex-coworkers, Barb, who had mentioned before that she was interested in getting a dog.

So he called her. And she said yes.

We were thrilled. Not only because we had a place for Rocky to go, but because we knew it would be a good place. So we packed him up yesterday and made the drive up north, to Barb’s house, where she and her little boy were patiently waiting on Rocky. As soon as we pulled in, her son exclaimed, “my new puppy is here!” And I felt relief flooding me, knowing that someone actually wanted him.

After hanging out for a while, showing them what Rocky likes (throwing the tennis ball, scratching his butt, chewing on giant bones) – Barb reassured us that Rocky would be well cared for, get fat and lazy and spoiled, and get tons of attention. I just hope he doesn’t disapoint them. Because as mean as it sounds, he disapointed me. After years of wanting a dog of my own, now I question whether I’ll ever have another. And that’s sad, because I really do love dogs.

Maybe someday I’ll find that pup that sweeps me off my feet. Not literally, like Rocky did to Lyric. For now, I’ll be happy with our fish. Whose name, ironically enough, is “Fish.”

Fish is good.

Comments

Popular Posts