COVID-19 Diary - day 20

WTF.

I think I've done a pretty good job of staying calm through the shit storm that is 2020. My husband would probably disagree but he disagrees with me about everything these days (which makes stressful situations all the more fun!). As a work from home (thankfully) mom, who is now "home schooling" her kids, I can honestly say my nerves have been great for my chronic constipation.

TMI? Never.

Somehow it seems like forever ago - March 12 - I picked Fallon up from school and went to the eye doctor, got Starbucks, picked Lyric up from track practice, then headed to pick up some friends of the girls and went to the carnival at Fallon's school. That was our last day of normal. But even then, I could feel it in the air. The lingering nervousness. School functions are usually packed, but that night, the crowd was sparse. I let the girls have what I knew was probably going to be their last night of fun, a sleepover with friends before the insanity started. The next day was Friday, a teacher in-service day, and they announced that school would be cancelled for the next two weeks.

Two weeks have come and gone, and a stay at home order is in effect for Pennsylvania. It doesn't look like school will be back in session this year.

At one point, I went to 9 stores over two days just to find some toilet paper.

I'd kill a man for a container of Clorox wipes. Or hand sanitizer for in my car.

I had to run to the grocery store today to grab some stuff that we were out of and as I was driving home, I noticed all the school buses parked at the bus garage. On a Thursday. And it made me super emotional. I feel like everything makes me cry lately. I'm perfectly fine social distancing - I love not interacting with people. I'm mostly just sad for my kids and the interruption to their school year and routine, the people out of jobs because of this bullshit illness, and mostly, the people who are sick or have died or have lost loved ones. I wonder if life will ever be normal again, or will I always hold my breath when I walk into a public place without realizing it, or slather my hands in hand sanitizer every time I leave a store.

I can only pray it passes quickly or that we all settle in to our new normal.

Comments

Popular Posts