On meat and the dark side

So... I fell off the no-meat wagon. If you follow me on twitter you probably already saw this. A couple reasons behind reverting back to my omnivorous diet - I was driving to Washington DC last week for work when I suddenly had an intense craving for chicken fajitas from Sheetz. I mean, I could taste them in my mouth and everything. Before you jump to conclusions, no, I'm not pregnant - I have too many little mouths to feed right now to consider it - but it was weird. And it made me really wonder - can I do this forever and ever amen? Well, it turns out I couldn't. A colleague at work took my boss and I out to dinner one night in DC at this fantastic restaurant called Nage. It was amazing - he's friends with the owner so we got the best treatment ever, which included many many goodies - some sort of salmon conncotion with caviar on top - and yes, I ate it. Caviar and all. They didn't really have much on the menu that was veggie-friendly, so I said eff it and ordered slow cooked salmon and chilled yellow tomato whip - it was all so beautiful and tasted every bit as good as it looked. If you're ever in Washington or Rehoboth Beach (the other location), definitely check it out. It made me want to become a total food snob. If only I knew the difference between shallots and scallops.

Not to mention the headaches I've had for the past two weeks. I've got to admit, as a vegetarian, I started off great, but it went downhill from there. I was living on bean burritos and cheese pizza for a while, which isn't exactly health food. I'd wake up in the morning with a splitting headache, like I drank too much (but I never drink anymore, I've learned my lesson there - unless it's mojitos, then it's a free for all), and it would dull down but stay with me pretty much all day.

I haven't had a headache since I went back to the dark side. Coincidence? Hmm.

Plus, grocery shopping with Mr. Cranky Pants was a pain in the tuckus. There was a week where I bought all my salad and things for lunch, and he bought a pack of steaks and a bag of potatoes. That's what he ate. ALL WEEK. Dinner was always a sucky time of day.

So, for my health and my relationship, I've decided just to eat a more balanced diet. I definitley can't exist on carbohydrates alone. Not to mention I've actually gained weight back in the past 3 weeks. I'm part Italian, and I love pasta. I've always hated having meat in my pasta, so it worked out good for a while. Plus, as part of my Catholic upbringing, I was intensely guilty, putting meat back in my gullet. But again, like a deeply rooted former Catholic - the sin feels so good. Heh.

Ryan and I have agreed to only shop for meat from local farms, which means no more buying steaks at Walmart. As I put my first bite of steak into my mouth on Monday evening, I wondered if the cow was still alive even after they cut it's throat. Good times!

Comments

Popular Posts