My Corona

Since we're kind of living in history right now, I thought a post was warranted. Dude, can you believe this shit? Coronavirus is cray cray. I dig science and I'm always going to err on the side of facts and stats and stuff you can't argue, but there are always inevitably going to be those who nay say. Naysay? I'm not sure which is correct. Siri? Well crap, she gave me the word "nisei, which is a person born in the US or Canada whose parents were immigrants from Japan. NO.

Anywho, I find myself in the in between - there's the "OMG WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE BUY ALL THE TOILET PAPER" peeps - and then there's the "FAKE NEWS TRUMP SAID WE'RE FINE BECAUSE THE UNITED STATES IS THE BEST AT MEDICINE USA USA USA" people. I'm in the "don't panic, but be prepared" camp, personally. I've always been kind of a hippie - I like taking the natural route. I don't scrub my house down with Clorox or spray the furniture with Lysol - I burn incense and diffuse lavender and frankincense (I like how it smells, mostly). I have salt lamps in several rooms and I do yoga for my mental health (I know it doesn't work for everyone, but it sort of works for me). I've recently tried meditation, but my mind doesn't have an off switch, so it's really hard. I need to keep trying, because my mental load it's no wonder, but that's definitely a post for another day. If I die of COVID-19 promise you'll help my family keep track of their shit because lord knows they'll be lost.

Social media makes things so hard. I hate judging my friends when they post something that I disagree with or find ridiculous. But I also don't want to argue. I have an elderly mom with heart problems who is susceptible. I have a child with asthma. I know most people will be fine, but those are the same people who go out in public when they're sick, thinking "I'm good!" while spreading their germs all over people like my mom and my kid. So excuse me for worrying a bit.

There are talks of our schools shutting down next week - tomorrow (Friday) is an act 80 day for the kids, but I have a feeling the teacher meetings are going to turn into how to quickly put online lesson plans together. Of course, we'll have the "THAT'S RIDICULOUS" camp. I can sympathize - if I were still working in an office I might be a little panicky too. Thankfully I work from home full time (an introverts dream) so I don't worry as much about school shutting down.

My husband (unbeknownst to me) made plans for us to go out for St. Patricks Day this weekend. Mind you, he's also in the "MEDIA SENSATIONALISM" camp. I'm in the cautious social distancing camp, so this should be interesting.

What camp are you in? Does this freak you out? Do you think we'll be ok by summer? Or will my years of watching the Walking Dead prepare me for a real life apocalyptic situation? Time will tell.

Comments

Popular Posts